A 16x2 LCD display (16 columns by 2 rows) is a very basic module and is very commonly used in various devices and circuits. A 16x2 LCD means it can display 16 characters per line and there are 2 such lines. In this LCD each character is displayed in a 5x7 pixel matrix. Utilizes the popular HD44780 parallel interface chipset. LCD uses 7 general IO ports for the microcontroller. Easy to communicate with the LCD module.
Features of 16×2 LCD module
- Command Protocol: Display Driver
- Controller: HD44780
- Voltage (Vdc): 5V
- Interface: Parallel
- Color: Yellow-green / Blue
- Display Format: 16 Characters x 2 Lines
- Current consumption is 1mA without a backlight
- Alphanumeric LCD display module, meaning can display alphabets and numbers
- Consists of two rows and each row can print 16 characters.
- Each character is built by a 5×8 pixel box
- Can work on both 8-bit and 4-bit mode
- It can also display any custom generated characters